Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Chapters 14-15

I enjoyed in Chapter 14 how Armstrong introduces the Islamic concept of jihad, and that she explains it broader meaning through historical examples in Jerusalem. Jihad may me the most controversial term of Islam in today's media; it is usually defined as "holy war" or "killing in the name of Islam". Armstrong offers a explanation that clarifies what jihad truly is:
"The word jihad does not mean merely "holy war." Its primary meaning is "struggle," and it is in this sense that it is chiefly used in the Qur'an. Muslims are urged to "struggle in the way of God," to make their lives a purposeful striving to implement God's will in a flawed, tragic world." (295)
 I find that Saladin is a great character in the history of Islam in Jerusalem. "Saladin had conducted his jihad in accordance with the Qur'anic ideal: he had always granted a truce when the Crusaders had asked for one; he had, for the most part, treated his prisoners fairly and kindly." From Armstrong's definition and Saladin's actions, I learn the real meaning of jihad, and not its misinterpretations that are now so common.

Another concept discussed was Zionism. After Saladin welcomed the Jews to return to Jerusalem, Zionism arose as a popular belief and sentiment. The idea that Jews must return and reconquer their homeland, which is Jerusalem. I liked reading about when and how Zionism became a popular belief because it is still a controversial topic in politics today. Armstrong justifies the feelings behind Zionism: "When people become alienated from their surroundings and feel that, physically and spiritually, they have no home in the world, they feel drawn to return to their roots to find healing" (299).

I was very struck and disturbed by this passage in Chapter 14: "Some pilgrims wandered around like zombies, beating their breasts in an uncoordinated manner, as though possessed. Women shrieked as though in labor; some pilgrims simply collapsed and lay on the ground like corpses. Pilgrims were regularly so overcome that they had to be hospitalized. Western devotion to Jerusalem had taken on a hysterical cast." When I read this, I just wondered to myself "Why?" These feelings of passion are so over my head, I don't understand how someone could be so distraught and act this way. I am assuming these are extreme cases, but they still happened. Incidents like these blow my mind, because in general religion is not viewed this way anymore so it is a hard concept for me to grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment